An Investment Piece:
Rag & Bone Long Sleeveless Wool Vest
I LOVE investment pieces. I love them because if you take care of them they will last forever. When I saw this Rag & Bone vest naturally I lost it, had to have it, and gave into my impulse buying disorder. My credit card and I may have cried for a minute, but it was TOTALLY worth it.
Investment pieces cost a pretty penny... but like anything else, you get what you pay for. When it comes to biting the bullet and buying an investment piece, I like to think of how I will wear it over the years. You want to think of it as an "outfit" and not an individual piece. That way it isn't just sitting in your closet collecting dust until you bring it out for that one party you have once a year. For the most part, investment pieces are a classic staple that will never go out of style. This vest is neutral in color, clean in cut and can be worn a myriad of ways from day to night. So I know immediately I will be getting my money's worth.
ATTENTION PETITE GALS: If you are on the more petite side (below 5'5") find a vest that hits closer to your lower hip/mid thigh level. If the length of the vest is too long the look will drown you and make you look shorter than you are. Always think of proportions. Always.
For the DAY LOOK, you can pair it a couple different ways. Because this vest is quite thick and made of wool, I'll be suggesting how to pair this vest as a fall/winter look.
I paired the vest with white jeans, a simple t-shirt, and pumps. I live in jeans and t-shirts, so I love how this vest instantly dresses up a classic look even more in a simple, yet casually sophisticated way.
Other suggestions include:
- Blue or black jeans with a shirt paired with booties, boots, clean white sneakers, or pumps again.
- High waist pants with a crop top that hits the top of the pant, paired with either booties, pumps, white sneakers, or cute flats.
- You could wear this to work wearing a pencil skirt or trousers and a blouse or shirt paired with pumps.
- An above the knee or knee length skirt with tights or knee socks, a simple t-shirt or blouse, paired with boots, booties, or oxfords.
- A cute day dress with booties or boots.
Jeans should also be looked at as an investment piece I tend to splurge on because I wear them all the time and I want them to last more than 3 washes and not lose shape easily. I LOVE Madewell jeans because they stretch but don't lose shape. And for us girls with a flat butt, this is an asset. Tshirts come and go, but a well fitting pair of jeans are hard to find.
I also love a cute comfortable pump. This BCBG pump is hands down THE MOST COMFORTABLE pump I have ever worn. I loved it so much in nude I bought it in 2 more colors: Black, and Royal Blue. I tell people all the time, "If the shoe fits, buy it in every color."
For the NIGHT LOOK, I paired the vest with a black mini ASOS dress and over the knee boots. The look is sexy but sophisticated. Other night looks with a long vest include:
- Leather leggings with a blouse or turtleneck, paired with a sexy pair of stilettos or pumps.
- Leather mini skirt with form fitting long sleeve black or white t-shirt, paired with high heeled boots or pumps.
- A form fitting midi length dress with pumps.
- High waisted black/blue jeans with a crop top longer in length paired with pumps.
A lot of the times a day look can be made into a night look simply by changing your shoes and jewelry. If you had on dark jeans and a blouse on with booties, simply put on some pumps, throw on either statement earrings or necklace and you are good to go!
SIDE NOTE ADVICE:
When it comes to suede shoes, I am always afraid to wear them out of fear of staining them somehow. I discovered a natural stain repellent called Liquid Off. It repels water and anything else that would harm your shoes without changing the texture or color! This repellent works on all different fabrics as well as garments too! I highly recommend spraying your shoes or say white bags to make them last longer.
You can purchase LiquidOff on Amazon or their website: http://www.liquidoff.com/